connected hospitals

multiple hospitals, multiple medical records, one location 

Client: NavisHealth, A Digital Health IT Company

My Role: Sole UX Designer

Responsibilities: User Research & Personas, User Flows, Wireframes, Prototyping, User Testing, High Fidelity, Implementation

Scope: Adding an additional feature within an existing app

Duration: 1 Month

Project Scope

I was tasked with creating a new feature within the already existing electronic medical record app, Engage, for NavisHealth.  The goal of this new feature was to allow patients to access their medical records from multiple facilities.  A design perimeter we had to deal with was allowing users to connect hospitals that were currently apart of the NavisHealth network without giving away our circle of facilities.

 

The process

To kick off the project, I wanted to learn about the mental models people had about having multiple facilities and what happened to their health data when they were referred to different doctors.

Surprisingly, a vast majority of people assumed that all health data was stored in a giant cloud that could be accessed by all doctors, nationwide, regardless of facility or practice.  The findings posed a few problems for design; our users didn't understand how the data flowed between facilities, nor did they have an incentive to download their health records on their own, nor did they even know they could access their medical health information.

I hypothesized that using location services to prompt users to connect new facilities to their app when they were in the vicinity could mask the need for displaying available hospitals and clinics, notify and walk users of the process to transfer their health data, and incentivize users by letting them know it was even an option.

 

our users

The demographic of our current users spanned all ages but the majority of them were middle-aged people with families living in the rural midwest and pacific northwest.  They were typically 50+ miles away from their primary care facilities.  For more serious issues, they were often referred to larger facilities as their primary facilities maxed out at 50 beds.

To empathize with our users, I created a persona and a main use case.

Using the storyboard and persona as a foundation on which to design, I moved forward with creating a flow.

Once this was approved, I moved forward to creating a clickable paper prototype to test on users.  

Unfortunately, after meeting with stakeholders, it was decided that location services would be taken out of the first version of this feature as it was too time-consuming to develop for the defined timeline.  Several rounds of user testing and iterations without the location feature still yielded a pretty simple solution that were shipped to development for iOS and Android platforms.  Testing also showed that an original idea to add a tutorial-like flow was not necessary so that was also removed.

 

the outcome